Wild blueberries make the best pie – (scratch that, they make the best EVERYTHING) – because they’re so much zestier than regular blueberries. In our case, the wild blueberries are local huckleberries, which are without a doubt my favorite berry! If huckleberries aren’t available, look for frozen wild blueberries in the grocery store because they’re really similar in flavor.
This smoothie has all the flavors of blueberry pie in a glass, with a healthy dose of antioxidents. It’s awesome for breakfast when I’m craving something sweet, (blueberry coffee cake to be exact). And… since I’m always craving something sweet, it’s good to satisfy those cravings with something healthier as often as I can! Plus, I’m turning into a huge smoothie fanatic because they’re so good, and really easy to make – and quick – and they don’t require lots of dishes! Lots of pros with smoothies, and I love anything that tastes like pie in a glass!
For the best blending, place everything in the blender in the order listed in the recipe. I like to place all the juicier ingredients at the bottom and finish with the bulky ones, in this case, the apples. Whenever spices or flavorings of any kind are in a smoothie, it’s best to place them somewhere in the middle. If you put a teaspoon of cinnamon on the top, you’ll have powdery cinnamon up the sides of the container and all over the lid. Just thought I’d let you know since I didn’t think it through the first time!
What’s your favorite quick and easy recipe?
- 2 cups frozen wild blueberries, (regular will work as well)
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut milk, (canned not carton)
- 1 cup apple juice or water
- 1 honey crisp apple, cored and quartered
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and cut into quarters
- Place everything into the blender container in the order listed.
- Blend, starting on low and working up to high speed until smooth.
- Serve immediately. This smoothie will keep up to a day in the fridge, but I think all smoothies taste best when consumed right away!
This recipe was first posted by GI 365 | Gourmet Innovations. All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2014 GI 365. All Rights Reserved. This content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
*You may only re-publish this recipe with attribution to this post. Feel free to contact me with any questions*